A FIRST. A PILEATED WOODPECKER ON THE PORCH.
Prince took these pictures a week ago but I had not had a chance to post them.

Prince took this picture of the little Downey woodpecker this Saturday when we awoke to a dusting of snow. We might get a few flakes tomorrow .
We have lots of little Downey Woodpecker who visit the porch daily with Red Belly Woodpeckers and a few Hairy Woodpecker and a occasional Sap Sucker Woodpecker. On some occasions we have even had the ground feeder, Flicker Woodpeckers to join the others on the porch. But to see a Pileated on the porch was wonderful.
When you venture outside, you can hear the Pileated funny sound and if you search up in the trees, you can locate them. Several times I have seen them from the kitchen window high up in the trees. When I do see one, I grab the handy binocular and enjoy the show .
Only once in my years on this planet did I get close to one actually it was two. I was headed to the garbage can with a sack of trash from the kitchen when I rounded the corner of the garage and there at eye level were two Pileated Woodpecker chasing each other around this large walnut tree. I was within six feet of them. Both of them stopped and so did I. I was in awe of them. Then they flew away. As I lifted the trash can lid to deposit my sack, I looked down the hill and within twenty feet was a big doe standing stock still. I told her that I saw her and put the lid back on the trash. I was smiling the rest of the day from my wildlife gifts.
The Kitty Justice is you never know when they will appear so keep looking.



Comments

Marcel said…
I love woodpeckers, so the photos were a very nice thing to find on your blog today. Like you I alwasy feel blessed when I get to see wildlife.

I'll post a photo soon of a woodpecker that Marv caught with his camera last spring. Or maybe I should say Connie might have to post it for me as I'll be out of town for the next week. I catch the ferry for Juneau at 5 am on Tuesday.

Cheers,
Phyl said…
I just found you linked from greatfullivins blog! It is always great to meet other grateful gals.

Hugs...and ur blog is delightful,

Phyl
Lady Di Tn said…
Marcel
Thanks and have a good trip.

Phyl
Welcome and I am glad you had a good visit. Come back anytime.

Peace to you both.
Greatfullivin said…
Hi, We too, are blessed with Pileated Woodpeckers. There are currently three that come to our suet feeder several times a day. They are very shy but wonderful to watch
SweetAnnee said…
Oh MY GOSH
I am SOOOOO Jealous
We have them here, but ONLY in the Singing Woods

in three years we've glimpsed one twice..
Oh Kitty..thank you thank you for sharing..
I'm in AWE!!!!

deena
Corn Dog said…
Ha...love the pictures. That pileated looks like a big chicken. Look at the feet on that guy. Whoo Weee.
Merle said…
Hi Lady Di~~ Great pictures of the woodpeckers. I had not realised there were so many sorts of them and I don't think we have them here. Lovely for you to see them and the doe.
I loved your Mardi Gras post too and the Picture of you is really nice. It is great that you all have such a lot of fun together. Thank you for your comments and also the stories and jokes you send me.
Take care, Lots of Love, Merle.
Lady Di Tn said…
Okay Greatfullivin you have to get a picture of the three.

Deena
Glad to share our wildlife.

CD You are absolutely correct, they are chicken size. Crows would look little beside this guy.

Merle
Glad you enjoyed the post and you are more than welcomed.

Peace to all
Mary said…
Lady Di,

We have a red-headed woodpecker that likes to have lunch and dinner at the huge old maple at the end of our driveway. There used to be a pileated woodpecker that lived along the canal, but I didn't see him last year. I was sorely disappointed as they are beautiful.

Thanks for sharing the delightful photos. Wildlife brings much joy to my life as well.

Blessings,
Mary

Popular Posts