I AM STARTING A SUNDAY SHARING.

PUPPY HEADING TO THE DINING ROOM TO EAT HIS BIRTHDAY CAKE.

THE RASPBERRY PATCH.


A CLOSE UP OF THE BERRIES. YUMMY.
AFTER READING MO'S GREATFUL LIVING BLOG POST, IT MADE ME THINK I SHOULD SHARE MY MOTHERS , MIMI'S AND MY RECIPES. THUS, SUNDAY SHARING IS BORN.
Since Mo was talking about canning, it brought back fond memories of Mother as she did alot of canning . The following are two of the best Squash Pickle recipes you can ever make.
YELLOW SQUASH PICKLE
10 cups of chopped squash
2 cups of chopped onions
1 cup of chopped green peppers (banana or bell)
1 Tbsp salt
Use large yellow squash. Remove the seeds and chop. Combine the chopped vegetables and sprinkle with salt. Let stand for 1 hour. Drain. In a large pan, combine 1 cup of vinegar, 1-3/4 cups of sugar, 1/2 tsp of celery seeds, 1/2 tsp of mustard seeds. Bring vinegar mixture to a boil and add drained vegetables. Return to a rolling boil , then immediately put in hot jars. Turn upside down for 5 mins and then upright jars. Makes 4 pints. If you like hot pickle substitute some of the chopped pepper with hot peppers. Important: Do not cook too long or the squash will get too soft.
ZUCCHINI RELISH
4 or 5 large zucchini squash (shredded)
4 or 5 large onions chopped
6 to 8 bell peppers chopped or 12 banana peppers
5 cups of sugar
2 or 3 Tbsp of Mrs Wages Polish Pickle Mix
1 1/2 quarts of white vinegar
1 pint of water
Mix all ingredients and cook to a rolling boil. Remove from heat and put in hot jars. Turn upside down for 5 mins and then up right jars. Again if you like things hot, you can substitute some of the peppers with hot peppers.
Mother used her salad shooter to shred the squash.
Both of these recipes are good to use for squash too large to cook. Just remove the seeds from them before you shred or chop.
These recipes came from my Mother, Vinia Kirby. You pronounce her first name as VI Nah, stressing the first I and omitting the second one.
The Kitty Justice is I hope y'all will enjoy making these pickles. Believe it or not , but the Zucchini one is reallllly good in tuna fish. It is all you have to put with a little mayo and seasonings, Lemon Pepper.


Comments

Yum. Food for Sunday morning.
I want you to know that I went out yesterday and took a bunch of different pictures of Mt. Baker just for you. I try to rotate the header on my blog. I love Mt. Baker . the pics seem to all look the same but the farms are always different. MB
Mary said…
Lady Di,

The squash recipes sounds delicious and so does your Sunday Sharing. You should make a group out of it so others could participate.

Take care, my friend and have a great Sunday. I've left comments on a couple of posts below. Playing catch-up this morning.

Blessings and hugs,
Mary
Marcel said…
Like Puppy I'm a fairly big guy, so I hope that was his 2nd or 3rd piece of cake. That piece of cake looks too dainty for a big guy like Puppy. LOL
SweetAnnee said…
Oh what a yummy berry patch
I love fresh berries with a bit
of cream

The recipes sound great..
Happy Sunday..Deena
Stacey Olson said…
These recipies look great.! thanks for "sharing"
As for your question on my blog. I also work in wildlife rehab and rescue and it is a myth that does won't take their fawns back..even whitetail. It is NOT a good idea to handle the young and it can cause problems(there are ways to avoid this)This little one was perfectly fine and its mother did not injure it because I touched it. I think we were all told, when we were kids not to handle any baby animals because their mothers would abandon, or kill them.. Not true, but it worked didn't it. (wink) have used it a time or two with my own children..(shame on me, I know) This one was NOT going to lie down and would have (without a doubt) gotten hit by cars on the road. Thanks so much for your consern and comments, and thanks again for the wonderful recipes.....Have a beautiful week.
Unknown said…
That sounds great! Can't wait to try it! Great photo support there too! Hope to see you soon!
Unknown said…
That sounds great! Can't wait to try it! Great photo support there too! Hope to see you soon!
Lady Di Tn said…
MB
How sweet of you to take those photos with me in mind. I will be watching for each change. Glad you enjoyed the reipes. Peace

Mary
Mother always found some way to use everything that grew in her garden and she found out the large squash to be just the ticket for these.
I know about catching up and it is really hard to do as we mature.
Since June has been so dry as soon as we got our little rain Saturday night , I did not rest on Sunday but Prince and I weeded the beds out front and put sixty three cubic ft of mulch. Whew. I am staying in today. Peace

Marcel,
Puppy had just eaten his Birthday dinner, Rolls, Steak, baked potato, vidal onions and mushrooms. So that little piece of cake was all he had room but he came back later in the night for more. Peace

Deena
Glad you enjoyed. I like to put my berry in a big bowl of yogurt. I need to some as I have left the task up to Prince. Peace

Stacy
Thanks for the answer. Hope you get to try the recipes. Peace

FTP
Glad you stopped by and hope you enjoy the recipes. Mother would be very proud I shared these. Peace
Susie said…
What a great idea to share some of your recipes on Sunday.
Hope your son had a great birthday..
Jeanette said…
Hi Lady Di.Your berries look so yummy. Im going to pass your ZUCCHINI RELISH on to my Daughters they grow them every summer and are always looking for recipes to use them up.. now a question please explain Mrs Wages Polish Pickle Mix ? is it spices? what spices?... take care
Unknown said…
Cool! :) thanks for your comments at my place!
Merle said…
Dear Lady Di ~~ Great idea about the recipes, especially the older ones
from your Mother and Mimi. Your
raspberries look wonderful. I prefer
them to strawberries, and like black-
berries better than both.
Thank you for the comments and glad you enjoy the stories and jokes. Take care, my friend, Love, Merle.
Lady Di Tn said…
Susie
I am glad you like the idea. My friends love the recipes that you have shared with us. I just made the lemon cake one last week. Thanks & Peace

Jen
I hope your daugthers enjoy them. Mrs Wage is a pickling package sold here in the states. I had planned to pick one up and I will let you know what is listed as the ingredients. Peace

FTP
I enjoyed visiting and will be back. Peace

Merle
For breakfast I have been pigging out on the raspberries. I dump a handful in a bowl of yogurt. Yummy. I will be posting blackberries soon. Peace
Greatfullivin said…
Hi Di!!! I can't wait to try these recipes! They sound sooooo good. Thanks for the honorable mention too. I have not had much time for blogging the past two months, lots of drama and then we live in a huge tourist area so we have had company every weekend since May.(((lots of fun))) Happy Birthday to puppy! Have a grand week. HUGS!

Popular Posts