ZEBRA GROWN FROM A HICKORY TREE.
The above award was given to me by Merle at Third Try. Thanks Merle
but I do not plan to conform to the rules. Rebel through and through. Instead those of you who come over may take it and enjoy it. Y'all know who you are because I leave little paw prints on your comments. I just hate to leave out anyone at all so I must be a true southern and invited everyone.
The lotion, perfume or powder that I have been using must be a natural attraction to birds and butterflies. Case in point, I was at the kitchen end of the porch putting a drink on my red geraniums and I really was not paying attention to the act as it is automatic or maybe something just caught my eye. Anyway, on my right forearm about middle ways, I felt a sight brush a multiple of times and the Native Indian kicked in and I did not move just glanced over and would you believe a female hummer was checking me out up close and personal. My hearts did flips of joy to be that close.
The next day, I had Maggie out on one of many of her command center walks when splat right up on my cheek landed a black and blue butterfly. It sat there on my face and did that slow wing spread. Then off it went on its merry way. I was stunned to say the least. NOW when I go outside it is not unusual for one to occasionally light on my arm or pants but on my FACE.
The same day of the butterfly encounter, well I was out giving all the plants on the porch a little surviving fluid when I came to the last pot of geraniums down at the other end of house, as I began to pour the liquid life on the plant, here comes a female hummer and she kept buzzing me within ten inches. It was as if she was trying to figure me out or maybe trying to get me to answer a perplexing question of hers. Either way, I sure did enjoy the view that she gave me.
Now, I will clear up any questions concerning the striped plant in the photo above. I usually break out the top and let it come back on a stronger stem each spring but this year I did not do that so the tree is acting like a giant plant spike. That plant will be 10 years old next month and I know this because, a thoughtful lady gave me this when Mother went on her eternal journey.
The kitty justice is that I do not know if it was the same female hummer or just two who liked my fragrance.

Comments

Mary said…
Lady Di,

I love the Zebra. I have never seen one before. It is lovely.

How awesome to have birds and butterflies checking you out and landing on you. I want some of that perfume. I love birds and butterflies. You have had a close up encounter and I know it is something you will always remember.

Blessings for a great week.
Mary
Brandy said…
How cool, a humming bird!! I think I might have been a little scared I am a weenie lol!! I did a little post today, I cant seem to find time anymore for breating let alone anything else, its CRAZY
Lady Di Tn said…
Mary
I was thrilled to have those little feathered friends so close up. One got in our garage yesterday and I helped her finded her way out. With it being so hot I had left the doors to the garage open so if any air was stirring it would go through and keep it cooler.

Brandy
You are way tooo young to be trying to find extra time. When you get my age then you are allowed to Whine about time. However, you do have those boys, big and little to keep up with.

Peace to y'all.
Marcel said…
Sounds like you have been having some close encounters of a fun kind.
Corn Dog said…
Up close and personal with a hummingbird, I'm envious.
Merle said…
Dear Dianne ~~ You sure must wear the right perfume to attract the humming bird/birds and butterfly. How lovely for you. Glad you got the award put on OK and thanks for your comments and glad you liked the H.S.R. poem.
Thank you for the e mails you send me.I hope it's not too hot for all that farm work you have been doing. Funny my brother Peter (at Holties House) just had a lot of trouble with John Deere too in his LAST post. Take care my friend, Love, Merle.
Lady Di Tn said…
Marcel
I feel very fortunate that they seem to know I mean no harm. Peace

CD
Oh, just wear Avons "Always" and they will perch up close to you too. Peace

Merle
I try to get whatever needs doing outside EARLY in the morning or late in the evening when the back yard has shade. Tell Peter I plan to give John Deere an addition to the solgan "NOTHING RUNS LIKE A DEERE WHEN IT IS RUNNING".
Peace
Anonymous said…
Is there is hummingbird nest in the last pot of flowers and you are watering the nest? My wife suggested that might be the case. They are very small nests as a penny will just fit in one.

Cool post. Enjoyed reading it. Maybe you should tell us what perfume you are wearing. I might try it.
What fun to have the birds and such, maybe bees too land on you. Are you Dr. Doolittle? Now is the plant actually growing in the tree. your winters must be so mild to winter over. Or am I crazy???? MB
Jeanette said…
Gday Lady Di,
Like your Zebra plant growing of the side of the tree.
Lucky you having butterfly's and birds up so close to you must be your perfume attracting them....Take great care Haveagoodweekend...
Lady Di Tn said…
Oh Abe, I hope I am not watering a nest. I must check it out. Thank Mrs L for the info. Now I do not wear perfume much. I perfer lotion and powder as I think the spray perfume can be over powering at times. I use the lotion and spray of Avons "Always."
Be sure to shower before you head out in public as whoever sniff y'all might get the wrong impression. LOL. Peace

MB
Our winters of late have not been as servere as in my youth. But I have to bring all my potted plants inside for them to survive. I have a prefect area in the basement for the majority of them and with all the windows I put them throughout the house. No the zebra is not growing out of the tree. The tree is just proping it up as I was too lazy to snap it back this year. I like the thought of being Dr. D. Peace

Jen
Thanks and I plan to keep wearing that scent so I can have more surprise encounters. Peace

Popular Posts