I hope all American school children still know about Meriwether Lewis. On our way back home Prince and I stopped by the grave site which is located just off Natchez Trace. Them monument is located at the very end of an exit an you can easily circle around the monument.

There was a family gathering near the old house with children running here and there and others riding bikes, scooter and skate boards. A game of friendly horse shoes was being watched. It took a moment to get a photo without folks . The following four photos are close ups of the monument on all four sides.






You can click on the photos to enlarge them so they can be easily read. While I was taking photos, two very large campers came along around the circle and the ladies got out but the gentlemen were not interested in history.
I was always intrigued by the historical event of the Lewis and Clark Expedition and remember how wide eyed I would listen to the teacher as she talked about their trip.
The kitty justice is their expedition started my love of history.



Comments

LZ Blogger said…
KJ ~ I have seen many areas around the midwest that are part of the Lewis and Clark Expedition and I've enjoyed them all. I loved your shot (below) of the Red Breasted Grosbeak. I should do a post about the bird shots I've taken in my backyard someday... if I wasn't so LAZY that is! ~ jb///
Excellent---we all remember our history and of course Lewis and Clark ended out here at the Pacifac Ocean. Parts of the trail out here are still visible.
I didn't realize he died so young though. MB
Anonymous said…
I remember the name and the things he did but had not known where he was buried.
Merle said…
Hi Dianne ~~ Great historic post and A fine monument. I love history, more now that I am older. I am enjoying the visit with Peter and 2 cousins came for lunch today to see us both. Tomorrow will be a sad day, seeing the pain Anne's husband is feeling. He rang me this morning and I asked how he was, he said, "I've had better weeks." He has asked Peter to speak at the service. We all
need someone who understands, so true. Love, Merle.
Lady Di Tn said…
Jerry
I think it would be fun to travel the same trails that they travelled. You need to go off the LAZY excuse and treat us to your bird photos. Peace

MB
A very tragic end as he was murdered. Peace

Abe
Glad to impart a little knowledge to you. Peace

Merle
History is so important as we learn from the past. Your friend is lucky to have so many loved ones around during this time of sorry. Peace

Popular Posts