The sun set on Tommy Thompson on March 31, 2009. He was only 56.
However, just like the old wheels on this farm equipment, he was really rusty from the last two and half years. The stroke captured an active man in a body he no longer recognized.

It was hard to be idle and watch. For him and his family and his friends it was a task . He had more support than most in his predicament.
You can read about him in my post of September 11, 2007.
He nicknamed everything and every body. No one was safe from his humor. He called me Grannie as I was older than the rest of the group, but I would tell him quite quickly that he looked older. I never knew the man when his hair was not snow white.Therefore, I referred to him as Grandpa.
Prince was first called "Hot Dog" then later Tommy shorten it to just "Dog". Needless to say the list of nicknames are too long to mention in one post.
How fitting that he was buried on April 1st. I kept waiting for him to pop up out of the casket and yell "April fools".
At his funeral there were tears and laughter. The later is what he wanted as he wanted us to celebrate his life not to be sad.
Prince wrote one story that was shared with those that gathered to pay their respect and it created a big laugh. I will try to tell y'all so you will have an in site to Tommy's humor.
The group that worked together at Nortel were one big family and they had a lady boss. One afternoon, she was a in a dither so she told Tommy to kiss her behind ( I cleaned it up for everyone) and without missing a beat he told her "It is too late in the evening to start a project that big."
It was a beautiful sunny day as we rode out to the cemetery and the day before and after were just not pleasant in the least.
I in my sense of humor told Prince that the ride was way too slow for Tommy as he loved speed. I mentioned that he should have been cremated and should have had his ashes blew out onto the road in a fast moving car. Tommy would have loved my idea.
After the graveside service, the guys had to pick up Tommy casket again and turn him around as he was going in feet first. I chuckled to myself and thought well you pulled off an April fools from the grave Tommy.
Once he was headed in head first, they began the woeful task of closing the grave. I truly HATE that sound of dirt falling down onto the casket.
Maybe it is just me, but I have always felt that before they are lowered into the grave, everyone should walk away.
The kitty justice is that I wish to be cremated and my ashes made into a beautiful red vase for Puppy to display and say "That was my Mom."If they put me in the ground, I shall haunt y'all down and make life a true kitty justice for y'all.


Comments

Mary said…
Lady Di,

May your friend Tommy, rest in peace. It sounds like he had a great sense of humor.

In many cases here, the people leave the graveside before the casket it lowered into the ground. However, I usually stay. I want to be sure that my loved one is secure before I leave. I guess it all depends on how you look at it. I feel that the person is already gone and the body is only a shell, so it doesn't really matter what is done with it. The soul soars away at the time of death.

My sincere sympathies in Tommy's passing.

Blessings,
Mary
Stacey Olson said…
O sweet lady. I am sorry for the loss of your dear friend. I am glad that he left a wonderful and happy impression on the lives of those he touched..
I will keep his family in my prayers.
When I pass on, I hope I am remembered with fondness and laughter as well.. and I agree with you, don't stick me in the ground...(;-)
Marcel said…
I’m so very sorry to read about your loss! It is never easy to loose a friend.

I still swing by every now and then. I’m still extra busy, but it is always good to see how things are in your world.

All the best to you and your family!
Wonderful story---I am sure Tommy would have approved.
Those strokes are just nasty. My husband had one 6 years ago--I took car of him at home and he died 1 1/2 years ago. MB
Lady Di Tn said…
Y'All
Thanks for the kind and comforting words. Peace be with y'all today and always.

Popular Posts